Solano Community College

Frequently Asked Questions

This page answers questions about math courses that are often asked by students entering Solano Community College.

I don't know what my major is going to be yet. Where do I start?

Generally, students not heading into STEM majors (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math), which is the majority of our students, will require either Math 11 (Statistics), or Math 12 (Mathematical Ideas) in order to transfer to a four-year university. Thus, students should start on a path that will get them to these courses immediately (or most efficiently). Meet with a counselor to discuss your options.


My major requires one transfer-level math course in order to transfer to a four-year university. Which one should I take?

Most students choose to take either Math 11 (Elementary Statistics) or Math 12 (Mathematical Ideas). Both of these courses are transferable to the California State University system and the University of California system. Some majors require Statistics, so be sure to speak with a counselor, and check out our Math for your Major link to find out more. 


I took the Accuplacer assessment test. Am I required to enroll in the course it placed me into?

No. California Community Colleges are using a multiple-measure based assessment now for students, meaning that we want to look at your high school GPA along with courses you took in high school, in addition to an Accuplacer score. Then, we choose the highest-level course that gives you the best chance of completing your goals. If you didn't attend high school here, or don't have a GPA, or any other issue, make an appointment with a counselor who can help you. They will use other measures to place you into a math course.


I just want an Associate Degree.  Which math class do I need to complete to meet the math requirement for an Associate Degree?

To receive an Associate Degree, a student would need a minimum of a 100-level math course. Options include Math 104 (Intermediate Algebra) and Math 112 (Intermediate Algebra for Liberal Arts). 


I'm "bad" at math. Math is my worst subject. I have math anxiety. Shouldn't I start in a lower math course?

Not necessarily. You should start in the course that gives you the most efficient path towards completing your math requirements. Trust in the placement system we have in place, keep a positive math attitude, and great things can happen! Check out our page on being successful in math for resources. 


I want to go into a major involving Science, Technology, Engineering, or Mathematics (STEM). Where do I start?

Our placement system, using your high school GPA and the courses you took in high school, will work to place you into the correct math course. Do know that a lot of math is usually required so we encourage you to start your math early! You can check out our Math For Your Major page to see which courses are needed. Then, check the e-mail you received after answering the supplemental questions in CCCApply, or, if you didn't do that, speak to a counselor to help see which course you should begin with.


Should I take Math 51 (Trigonometry) and Math 2 (Algebra for Calculus) rather than Math 4 (Precalculus) to prepare for Math 20 (Calculus I)? 

Students planning to take Calculus need to first take Precalculus. We recommend that if you took a rigorous Geometry/Math 2 and Algebra 2/Math 3 course in high school and did well, you should consider taking Math 4 (Precalculus). However, if you have never seen any trigonometry before, and didn't do well in high school Geometry/Math 2 and Algebra 2/Math 3, we suggest taking our Precalculus course in two "parts"; Math 51 (Trigonometry) and Math 2 (Algebra for Calculus). These courses can be taken at the same time but provide an extra hour of lecture time for students.